Call for Alumni Artists: In a Flash
Wednesday, Apr 10, 2019 - Sunday, May 12, 2019
Submissions Accepted Online // Exhibition in the Diego Rivera Gallery
RSVP Online »
SFAI Alumni Exhibition Call for Artists: In A Flash
In a Flash is an exhibition of works by San Francisco Art Institute alumni whose practice encompasses the art or history of tattooing and tattoo aesthetics. This exhibition aims to showcase the range of imagery that comes from the realm of tattoo art and its variety of applications. Currently practicing tattoo artists are highly encouraged to apply.
Open Call Ends: May 12th | 11:59pm
Artists Notified: May 27
Important Dates for Artists:
June 17-23 Artworks drop off
June 27 - 28 Install
July 29 - 30 Deinstall
August 5 - 9 Pickup
On view: June 29 - July 28th
Opening Reception: July 4th
Diego Rivera Gallery
How to Submit
- No entry fee
- Artists may submit up to five works using this Google form
- Only digital images/files will be accepted for consideration. Artists can submit up to 4 (jpgs) MAX 1 GB each labeled to correspond with the artists’ name (i.e. Lastname_01.jpg). If there is video it should be submitted as a still with a link to a web-hosted video viewer.
- SFAI will retain the submitted images of accepted artwork and reserves the right to use the images in gallery publicity
- In a Flash is open to SFAI alumni whose practice includes or is in conversation with tattooing.
- Open to any and all traditional and non-traditional visual arts media.
- Artwork exceeding 48” in any dimension or weighing over 150 pounds cannot be accepted.
- All work accepted for the exhibition must arrive ready to install. Works not gallery-ready, or not exhibiting good craftsmanship, or that arrive without clear installation instructions, may be omitted from the exhibition. Accepted work that differs significantly from the entry images or suffers from poor presentation will be disqualified.
- Work may be shipped or hand delivered to the gallery in San Francisco, CA, instructions will be sent if work is selected.
- Shipped works must be sent in an easily reusable container/packaging with return shipping prepaid. Artists are responsible for all shipping costs to and from the gallery.
- All work must arrive at SFAI by the specified date (see calendar above).
- Works will be returned in the same manner as delivered or via UPS/USPS.
- Accepted work will remain on display for the duration of the exhibition. Works not claimed within 30 days of the end of the exhibition will become the property of SFAI.
- Works will be insured while on gallery premises. Insurance covers theft, vandalism, damage caused by gallery patrons or staff (in accordance with insurance policy).
- Insurance does not cover damage caused during shipping due to any reason, including mishandling by carrier or failure of packaging to protect works in transit.
- Also not covered is damage caused to work by failure of the work itself, its mounting systems installed or provided by the artist, disintegration/degradation due to the nature/quality of materials or craftsmanship, or incidental damage to works whose artist-directed presentation methods put them at risk.
Sale of Artwork
- Artworks are not for sale through SFAI. Artists are allowed to sell work during the exhibition period but works are required to stay installed for the duration of the show.
- SFAI is not responsible for communications or transportation of works to additional parties other than the artist.
Send any questions to Kat Trataris at email@example.com
Please share this call for art to all your networks and friends!
Image: Rene Lopez, All Powerful Hand, Gouache and India ink on paper, 2011