Rashaad Newsome is a multidisciplinary artist who pulls intuitively from the world of advertising, the Internet, Black and Queer culture to produce counter-hegemonic works that use the diasporic traditions of improvisation and college, to craft compositions that walk the tightrope between intersectionality, social practice, and abstraction.
Newsome has exhibited and performed at The Studio Museum in Harlem (NYC), The National Museum of African American History and Culture (DC), The Whitney Museum (NYC), Brooklyn Museum (NYC), MoMAPS1 (NYC), SFMOMA (CA), New Orleans Museum of Art (LA), Centre Georges Pompidou (Paris), The Garage Center for Contemporary Culture (Moscow), and MUSA (Vienna).
Education: BFA, Tulane University, 2001
View Gallery »
- “Rashaad Newsome’s ‘Being.’” Unframed, September 2019, www.unframed.lacma.org/2019/09/11/rashaad-newsome’s-being.
- “This Artist Is Using Ballroom to Decolonize Our Imaginations.” them., November 2019, www.them.us/story/rashaad-newsome-black-magic.
- “Rashaad Newsome. | Running. | Park Avenue Armory.” Quiet Lunch, November 2017, www.quietlunch.com/rashaad-newsome-running-park-avenue-armory.
- “Rashaad Newsome’s Video Art Records and Archives Black Bodies in Motion.” The Village Voice, April 2016, www.villagevoice.com/2016/04/20/rashaad-newsomes-video-art-records-and-archives-black-bodies-in-motion.
- “Out artist casts a spell on Philly.” The Philadelphia Gay News, November 2019, www.epgn.com/arts-and-culture/arts/15453-out-artist-casts-a-spell-on-philly.
- “The Conductor.” Vimeo, 2014, produced, directed, scored and edited by Rashaad Newsome, https://vimeo.com/302538705/1e8e0d8e87.