Born in New Jersey in 1942, Henry Wessel has been honored with two Guggenheim grants and three fellowships from the National Endowment for the Arts. His photographs are included in the permanent collections of the major American, European, and Asian museums. His work has been frequently and widely exhibited, including solo exhibitions at the Museum of Modern Art in New York, the Museum of Contemporary Art in Los Angeles, The San Francisco Museum of Modern Art and The SK Stiftung Kultur in Cologne, Germany. FIVE BOOKS, a slip-case collection of his work, was published by Steidl, Gottingen, Germany in 2007.
- Henry Wessel, Vintage Photographs, Pace/MacGill Gallery, New York, NY, 2011
- Vintage Still Photographs, Rena Bransten Gallery, San Francisco, CA, 2011
- Henry Wessel Photographs, Galerie Thomas Zander, Cologne, Germany, 2009
- Henry Wessel, Die Photographische Sammlung, SK Stiftung Kultur, Cologne, Germany, 2007
- Henry Wessel: Photographs, San Francisco Museum of Modern Art, 2007
- Henry Wessel: Early Photographs, Rena Bransten Gallery, San Francisco, CA, 2007
- Henry Wessel, Charles Cowles, New York, NY, 2007
- Henry Wessel, Robert Mann Gallery, New York, NY, 2007
- Henry Wessel: Vintage Works, Gallery Luisotti, Santa Monica, CA, 2007
- Gefter, Philip. "Henry Wessel: Capturing the Image, Transcending the Subject." The New York Times, May 21, 2006.
- Kimmelman, Michael. “Celebrating the Views That Others Looked Past.” The New York Times, March 6, 2007.
- Feldman, Melissa. “Behind the Wheel with Henry Wessel.” Art in America, no. 10, November 2007.
- BA, Pennsylvania State Universisty, 1966
- MFA, Visual Studies Workshop, State University of NY at Buffalo, 1972